Are you looking for the best portable POS system? A portable POS system can help you accept payments on the go, track sales and inventory, and manage your business from anywhere. With so many options on the market, it can be overwhelming to choose the right one for your business. That’s why we’re here to help.
In this article, we’ll go over the types of portable POS systems, the best portable POS systems on the market, how they are being used in various industries, top features, and most importantly- pricing.
Types of Portable POS Systems
There are several types of portable POS (point of sale) systems available on the market today, including
- Mobile POS systems: These are POS systems that use a mobile device, such as a smartphone or tablet, as the main point of sale terminal.
- Handheld POS systems: Small, portable devices that can be used to process transactions on the go. They are often used by businesses such as food trucks or outdoor vendors.
- Bluetooth POS systems: Systems that use Bluetooth to connect a portable card reader to a mobile device or computer, allowing for transactions to be processed remotely.
- Wireless POS systems: These systems use Wi-Fi or cellular networks to process transactions remotely, without the need for a wired connection.
- Hybrid POS systems: These are POS systems that combine the features of traditional POS systems with the portability of mobile or wireless systems.
All of these portable POS systems are used to process payments and manage sales, inventory, and customer data. In addition, some of the portable POS systems are even cloud-based and are accessible to users from anywhere. And each may be a good choice for your business.
The 4 Best Portable POS Systems on the Market
Portable POS systems are essential resources for businesses looking for a flexible and mobile solution for their payment processing needs. That being said, you must use the best portable pos system on the market. So, with a wide range of options on the market and various industry usage, it can be challenging to make a decision. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the best portable POS systems.
Whether you’re a small business owner, event coordinator, or food vendor, this list will provide you with the information you need to make an informed decision.
Square POS is a leading POS provider, and a recognizable name, that allows businesses to process transactions and manage their sales. It includes a small card reader that plugs into a smartphone or tablet and a corresponding app that allows the user to track sales, manage inventory, and process payments. Equally important, Square POS has received praise for its ease of use. In addition, it enables businesses to accept payments in just a few minutes. The system also offers a range of features, including the ability to set up and manage multiple locations, create custom reports, and track inventory.
Additionally, Square POS provides businesses with access to various tools to help them grow their sales. Square POS is a flexible and powerful tool for small businesses and entrepreneurs.
- Magstripe reader for iOS or Android phone
- Contactless and chip reader
- Monthly Fee: Free for basic Square users, if using Square for retail or restaurants it’s $60 per month/per location.
- Processing Fee: 2.6% + $0.10
Best For- Small to mid-sized Businesses
Shopify POS is a popular system designed for retailers to manage in-store sales and customer interactions. Moreover, it is a key component of the Shopify e-commerce platform that enables merchants to accept payments, manage inventory, and track sales in real-time, anywhere and anytime.
- Shopify POS Lite
- Shopify POS Pro
- Monthly Fee:
- To use Shopify POS you will need to have a Shopify plan which ranges from $29 to $2k monthly. Then, you can pay for Shopify POS Lite for $0 or Pro for $89.
- Processing Fee: 2.4 -2.7% + .30
Best For- Because Shopify is an e-commerce service before a POS service, it’s optimal for those who do online sales.
Lightspeed POS is an advanced cloud-based point-of-sale system suitable for retailers of all sizes. It is an ideal solution for retailers seeking a flexible and mobile-friendly point-of-sale system, especially those who participate in pop-up shops, trade shows, or other mobile sales events. As a result, retailers can manage their business from anywhere, at any time, ensuring that their operations remain efficient and streamlined, no matter where they are.
omnichannel loyalty: online and in-store loyalty benefits are the same.
- Monthly Fee: $69 and up
- Processing Fee: 2.6% + $0.10
Best For- Lightspeed POS is a great choice for businesses that want to offer customer loyalty programs.
Clover POS is another popular cloud-based point-of-sale system perfect for small and medium-sized businesses. It offers a range of features, including inventory management, customer management, and real-time sales reporting. In addition, the system can run on a Clover Flex, Mini, or Mobile device, allowing retailers to process sales and manage their business on the go. Regardless of where they are located, retailers can manage their business with Clover POS from anywhere, at any time.
- POS features specific to restaurants
- Monthly Fee: $14.95-$90 per month
- Processing Fee: 2.6%-3.5% + $0.10
Best For- Small Businesses/Restaurants
|Features||Square POS||Shopify POS||LightSpeed POS||Clover POS|
|Monthly Subscription||$0 to $60||$0 to $89||$69 to $99||$14.95-$90|
|Transaction Fees||2.6% + 10c||2.4-2.9% + 30c||2.6% + 10c||2.6%-3.5%+10c|
|Hardware Costs||$0 to $1,479||$0 to $429||Quote based||$0-$1,349|
|Reporting and Analytics||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Integration with Other Platforms||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Note: These are just examples of costs and features and may vary based on the specific needs of your business and the type of plan you choose. Be sure to check with the POS system provider for the most up-to-date pricing and feature information.
Common Features of the Best Portable POS Systems
Whether it's a pop-up shop, a trade show, or an outdoor event, a portable POS system provides business owners with the flexibility they need to process transactions and manage their business from anywhere. So, what are some common features you can expect from most providers? In this section, we will look at some of the common features of portable POS systems and how they can benefit business owners.
Portable POS systems are designed to be used on mobile devices such as smartphones, tablets, or handheld devices, allowing merchants to process sales and manage their business on the go.
Many systems are cloud-based. Hence, all sales and inventory data is synced in real-time, ensuring that retailers have access to the latest information.
Accept multiple payment methods
Portable POS systems allow businesses to accept a variety of payment methods, including credit cards, debit cards, cash, and gift cards, making it easy to process transactions.
Portable POS systems usually include inventory management features. Therefore, allowing retailers to manage their stock levels and keep track of what needs to be restocked.
Portable POS systems often include a customer database that allows retailers to keep track of customer information. Such as purchase history, and other important details.
Reporting and analytics
Portable POS systems provide retailers with detailed reporting and analytics, so they can see how their business is performing and make informed decisions.
Many systems allow retailers to customize the interface, so it fits the specific needs of their business.
Portable POS systems often integrate with other software and services, such as shipping and accounting, so retailers can manage their entire business from one platform.
Portable POS systems should be designed with security in mind to protect customer and business data.
Industries that Can Benefit from a Portable POS System
Many industries can benefit from a portable POS system, allowing them to process transactions, manage operations, and serve customers better wherever they are. Therefore, in this section, we will look at several examples of industries that can benefit from using a portable POS system and how it can help them improve customer service and grow their business.
Retailers can use a portable POS system to process sales and manage their inventory while on the go, making it ideal for pop-up shops, trade shows, and other mobile sales events.
- Order Management System (OMS) integration is the top priority of 67% of retailers.
- 56.5% of retailers use POS analytics for loss prevention
Food and Beverage
Restaurants, cafes, food trucks, and other food and beverage establishments can use a portable POS system. For instance, processing orders, managing menu items, and handling customer payments.
- 32% of restaurants prioritize installing a new POS
Beauty and Spa
Beauty salons, spas, and other personal care establishments can use a portable POS system. For instance, to process payments, book appointments, and manage customer information.
Service-based businesses such as handymen, cleaners, and personal trainers can use a portable POS system to process payments, manage schedules, and keep track of customer information.
Event planners and managers can use a portable POS system to process ticket sales, manage event inventory, and handle customer payments at events.
Arts and Crafts
Artisans and craftspeople can use a portable POS system to process sales. In addition, they can manage inventory, and handle customer payments at markets, fairs, and other mobile sales events.
Non-profit organizations can use a portable POS system to process donations and manage fundraising events.
Taxi, trucking, and delivery companies can use a portable POS system to process payments, manage dispatching, and track deliveries.
Health and Fitness
Health clubs, gyms, and personal trainers can use a portable POS system to process payments, manage memberships, and handle customer information.
However, these are just a few examples of the many industries that can benefit from using a portable POS system. By providing flexibility, convenience, and the ability to process transactions and manage operations from anywhere, a portable POS system can help retailers and service providers enhance and improve their operations and better serve their customers.
Charges to Consider When Choosing the Best Portable POS System
When choosing a portable POS system, there are several charges to consider, including
- Monthly Subscription: Many POS systems charge a monthly fee for access to the software and services. Thus, this fee may vary depending on the features and capabilities of the system.
- Transaction Fees: Some POS systems charge a transaction fee for each sale processed through the system. With this in mind, the fee may vary based on the type of card used, the amount of the sale, and the processing company.
- Hardware Costs: If you need to purchase hardware such as a terminal, scanner, or cash drawer, this will add to the overall cost of the system. Some POS systems include hardware as part of their monthly fee, while others require a separate purchase.
- Installation and Training Costs: Some POS systems may have fees for installation and training, which can add to the overall cost of the system.
- Ongoing Maintenance and Support: Certain POS systems may charge for ongoing maintenance and support, which can add to the total cost of ownership.
- Integration Costs: If you need to integrate the POS system with other software or systems, such as an accounting or e-commerce platform, there may be additional costs for integration services.
Consider these charges carefully and compare different POS systems to determine which is most cost-effective. Additionally, it's a good idea to consider any long-term costs, such as subscription fees, to ensure that the system you choose is affordable and sustainable over the long term.
Ready to Find the Best Portable POS System for Your Business?
Finding the right portable POS system for your business can be a complex and time-consuming task. It's important to consider your specific business needs, budget, and preferred features when making your choice.
360Connect can help simplify this process by connecting you with a curated list of suppliers who offer a range of portable POS solutions. By providing you with relevant information and competitive FREE quotes, 360Connect can help you make an informed decision and find the supplier that's right for your business.