20 Foot Shipping Containers
20-foot storage containers are one of two standard sizes (40-foot is the other standard size), and are great space-efficient units for business storage, additional office space, and more. While some businesses may require more space than they can offer, the 20-footer has become the most common choice for both construction job sites and commercial storage needs. They’re convenient if you’re looking for a standard-sized, standard-priced unit that easily fits on your site (it normally fits inside a single parking space, to give you an idea) and prefer standard delivery fees (can be delivered on a smaller truck than larger containers).
The standard 20-foot storage container’s dimensions are going to be 20 ft. long, 8 ft. wide, and 8.5 ft. tall (20’ x 8’ x 8.5’), which equates to about 150 sq. feet. If you’re looking for a container that’s a bit taller to store larger equipment, you can also opt for the 20-foot “high-cube,” which adds a foot onto the container’s height and measures 20’ x 8’ x 9.5’. Note that these are external dimensions, and the internal dimensions will fall just a bit smaller at around 19’3″ x 7’8″ x 7’10” for the standard and 19’3″ x 7’8″ x 8’10” for the high-cube.
20′ x 8′ x 8.5′
20′ x 8′ x 9.5′
19’3″ x 7’8″ x 7’10”
19’3″ x 7’8″ x 8’10”
7’9″ x 7’6″
7’9″ x 8’6″
|Weight (Max Gross)||Standard:|
20-foot storage containers are the most popular choice and most frequently bought by businesses since they’re very versatile and space-efficient. Among the dozens of ways 20-foot storage containers are used commercially, here are some of the possible uses:
- Construction sites
- Retail storage
- Agricultural housing or storage
- Additional office space or workshops
- School classrooms and/or storage
- Garages or personal outdoor storage
- Outdoor food/drink kiosks
- Indoor gardens and nurseries
You have a wide variety of options when it comes to features for your 20-foot container - including different types of doors, flooring, locks, ramps, wheels, shelving, ventilation, insulation, windows, interior finishing, and much more. Features included in a 20-foot standard storage container typically include:
- High-quality 14-gauge cor-ten steel panels
- Ground-level access
- Portability (move as needed)
- Basic lockable double doors
- Thick plywood flooring
The cost per 20-foot container depends on a few factors, including age and condition, whether you’re renting or buying upfront, chosen add-on features, your location and distance of the supplier from you, and season.
- New: if you’re buying a brand new 20-footer, expect to pay top dollar for a standard container with no add-on features.
- Used: If you’re buying a used 20-footer, expect to pay a bit less for a standard container with no add-ons.
- Rent: If you choose to rent a 20-footer, typically the above standard prices apply based on condition, plus a small amount more due to the convenience of renting. Your monthly fee will range, and not include add-ons.
Keep in mind that the more features you add, the more your price for the 20-footer will increase. Price will also be subject to change based on your delivery requirements. To learn more about a 20-foot storage container delivery service, take a look at how a delivery service works.